Cancer is a disease that can affect anyone – the young and the old, the rich and the poor, men, women, and children. At Gleneagles Hospital Penang, we understand how disruptive and upsetting it can be when our patients find out they have cancer, and we are dedicated to help them fight this illness to the best of our abilities.
As a leading oncology centre in Malaysia, we adopt a team-based and holistic approach in diagnosing and treating different forms of cancer. Our cancer patients benefit from our multi-disciplinary team of sub-specialists including some of the best oncologists in Penang, supported by advanced technology in cancer treatment.
Our patients are reviewed by a team of oncologists, surgeons, and other cancer specialists to ensure that they receive appropriate standards of medical diagnosis, treatment and patient care.
How Does Cancer Occur?
Cancer occurs when the genes in individual cells that make up the human body start to behave differently from normal cells. Unlike normal cells, cancerous cells divide and multiply at an accelerated rate. Once this occurs, the set of instructions in the genes of the cell no longer work as before, and the cell loses its normal function.
Other than cancer, several different terms are used to describe cancers which occur in different parts of the body. A tumour is a growth that occurs at its original site in the body, while a carcinoma is a form of cancer that forms from epithelial cells. A sarcoma is a cancer that occurs in the connective tissues like muscles, while leukaemia and lymphoma are cancers that arise from blood and lymphatic cells respectively.
Cancer Therapies and Surgeries at Gleneagles Hospital Penang
Occurring at multiple sites throughout the body, the effective treatment of cancers involves a mixture of surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, targeted therapy, and immunotherapy.
In our approach to clinical oncology, supported by radiology, interventional radiology, and pathology, we provide the following areas of cancer treatment:
- Blood Cancer
- Brain Cancer (Neurosurgery)
- Head & Neck Cancers
- Breast Cancer (Therapies and Surgeries)
- Lungs Cancer
- Liver Cancer (Hepatology & Hepatobiliary Surgery)
- Pancreatic Cancer (Hepatobiliary Surgery & Surgical Oncology)
- Cancer of the Stomach, Intestines, and other parts of the alimentary canal (Gastroenterology)
- Colorectal Cancer (Treatment and Surgery)
- Surgical Oncology
- Musculoskeletal Cancers (Orthopaedic Oncology)
- Gynaecological Cancers (specific for women)
- Kidney, Bladder and Urinary Tract Cancers (Urology)
- Cancer in children
Effective treatment of cancers involves a multi-modal approach to give patients the best chance of survival. At Gleneagles Hospital Penang, patients have access to a wide variety of cancer treatment options tailored to their unique conditions that include:
- Cancer Screening
- Radiation Therapy (uses high doses of energy rays to kill cancer cells or shrink tumours)
- Chemotherapy (oral or through intravenous drugs)
- Targeted Therapy (drugs that target specifically on the abnormal tumour growth)
- Immunotherapy (a treatment that empower the patient’s own immune system to fight against cancer)
- Hormone Therapy (use medication to block or lower the hormones in the body to stop or slow down the growth of cancer)
- Autologous Transplant for Blood Cancers
- Radical Surgery & Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS)
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Sentinel Lymph Node Procedure
- Interventional Radiology
- Interventional Pulmonology
- Interventional Endoscopy
Oncology Specialists at Gleneagles Hospital Penang
Gleneagles Hospital Penang has one of the largest teams of specialists in treating cancer in Malaysia. Our multi-disciplinary team of specialists comprising oncologists, radiotherapists, and surgeons are ably supported by a dedicated team of experienced nurses who are trained to sensitively manage the physical and emotional needs of our cancer patients.
As home to some of the best cancer specialists in Penang, we ensure that a multidisciplinary team meeting is set up to facilitate a team of cancer specialists to regularly conduct case studies and obtain input from each other on the best treatment options for our cancer patients.
Our Treatment Facilities and Equipments
To provide you with high standards in cancer diagnosis, treatment and care, we use modern imaging and radiotherapy equipment while applying meticulous standards of medical diagnosis, surgical procedures, and therapies.
In our Cancer Centre, the Radiotherapy Centre houses two Elekta linear accelerators that allow us to provide advanced cancer therapies such as:
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT)
- Deep Inspiration Breath Hold Radiation Therapy (DIBH)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)
- Stereotactic Radiotherapy (SRT)
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)
Our dedicated Haematology & Oncology Treatment Unit (HOTU) houses consultation suites, a day ward, a chemotherapy drug reconstitution (CDR) unit and a ward for cancer patients. Some of the common conditions treated in the unit include breast cancers, colon and gastro-intestinal tract cancers, gynaecological cancers, leukaemia and lymphoma, and lung cancers.
As a referral cancer centre in the northern region of Malaysia, Gleneagles Hospital Penang houses 10 operating theatres, which includes 2 state-of-the-art digital operating theatres designed for laparoscopic surgery.