Neurosurgery is a medical specialty that is concerned with the diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation, and prevention of conditions which affect any part of the nervous system which includes the brain, spine, spinal cord, peripheral nervous system, and the cerebrovascular system. Surgeons who specialize in neurosurgery are referred to as neurosurgeons. They provide both surgical and non-surgical treatment, depending on the disease and condition of the patient.
A Comprehensive Team
Gleneagles Hospital Penang is home to highly skilled and experienced neurosurgeons capable of performing complex procedures, treating various conditions/disorders, as well as providing comprehensive care for our patients. They employ open and minimally invasive surgical techniques using the latest technologies available, such as microscopes, endoscopes, and image guided surgery (IGS) for the best possible outcome of patients.
Our neurosurgeons are also assisted by a dedicated team comprised of other specialists in various fields, nurses, dietitians, and physiotherapists to provide comprehensive care for all the patients needs.
Besides surgery, our surgeons are also involved in stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS), pain intervention using radiofrequency (RF), and rehabilitation of post-operative patients.
Neurosurgical ServicesThe services offered at Gleneagles Hospital Penang include but is not limited to:
- Neurooncology – tumours of the brain (eg: pituitary tumour) and spinal cord
- Neurovascular – intracranial bleeds such as haemorrhagic strokes, cerebral aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations (AVMs), and carotid stenosis
- Functional neurosurgery – epilepsy and movement disorders, microvascular decompression for trigeminal neuralgia
- Peripheral nerve surgery – peripheral nerve decompression such as carpal tunnel release, ulnar nerve release, etc.
- Neurotrauma – traumatic head and spine injuries
- Neurospine – laminectomy, discectomy, spinal fusion for degenerative spine disease
- Pain intervention – non-surgical treatment for headaches, back pain, trigeminal neuralgia
- Neurocritical care – ICU care for neurosurgical patients.
Successful and effective treatment is first preceded by accurate diagnosis. It is imperative to properly diagnose a condition in order to determine an efficacious treatment plan for our patients.
Gleneagles Hospital Penang is one of the leaders in the field of neurosurgery, with state-of-the-art facilities including a 3T MRI suite, 640-Slice CT scanner, and various others
The 3 Tesla (3T) MRI is an advanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanner that enables a more accurate diagnosis due to its quicker, more detailed scans, as well as clearer images. With our latest 3T MRI scanner, we are able to overcome the challenges that come with abdominal MRI scan using FREEZEit technology, a feature which enables free-breathing examinations to those with limited breath-hold capability.
Our Imaging Department is home to an advanced 640-slice Toshiba Aquilion One CT Scanner, one of the most revolutionary and the world’s first dynamic volume CT scanner. Apart from routine examination, the scanner also performs CT angiography (CTA) to help physicians evaluate the arteries and assess their function.
These revolutionary facilities assist our neurosurgeons in their diagnosis, and treatment of various conditions.