Cardiology is a medical specialty that is concerned with the disorders of the heart as well as parts of the cardiovascular system. This field of medicine encompasses the diagnosis and treatment of conditions such as congenital heart defects, coronary artery disease, heart failure, valvular heart disease, and irregularities in heart rhythms (electrophysiology).
Physicians who specialise in cardiology, a specialty of internal medicine, are referred to as cardiologists or heart specialists. Surgeons who specialise in cardiac surgery, a specialty of general surgery, are referred to as cardiothoracic surgeons or cardiac surgeons.
At the Heart of Quality Care: Your Premier Destination for Cardiology Excellence in Penang
As a leader in the field of cardiology and cardiac surgery, we offer cardiac care from the early stages of detection, diagnosis, and treatment.
Gleneagles Hospital Penang is home to highly skilled and experienced cardiac specialists, who can treat a wide range of cardiovascular diseases, as well as managing the healthcare and rehabilitation needs of patients of all ages.
The cardiac specialists at Gleneagles Hospital Penang are knowledgeable and proficient in a multitude of medical procedures. They possess advanced medical degrees and qualifications from London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Singapore, Australia, and other leading capitals.
Cardiac Services at Gleneagles Hospital Penang
Being one of our centres of excellence, we offer comprehensive services in diagnosing and treating patients with a multitude of cardiovascular conditions. The cardiology services offered at Gleneagles Hospital Penang range from non-invasive techniques to invasive procedures.
Our cardiology services include but is not limited to:
Non-invasive cardiac tests
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Exercise Stress Test
- Two-dimensional Colour Doppler Echocardiography
- Exercise Stress Echocardiography
- Dobutamine Stress Echocardiography
- Transoesophageal Echocardiography
- 24-hour Holter Monitoring
- 24-hour Blood Pressure Monitoring
Invasive cardiac tests and therapies
- Diagnostic Coronary Angiography (Right & Left Heart Cardiac Catheterisation)
- Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Intervention
- Balloon Angioplasty
- Coronary Stenting
- Shockwave Intravascular Lithotripsy (IVL)
- Coronary Rotational Atherectomy (ROTA)
- Fractional Flow Reserve (FFR)
- Intravascular Ultrasound (IVUS)
- Intravascular Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)
- Temporary and Permanent Pacemaker Implantation
- Implantation of Intra Cardiac Defibrillator (ICD)
- Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy (CRT)
- Electrophysiological Studies
- Cardiac Radiofrequency Ablation
- Endovascular Reconstruction of Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection
- Thoracic Aneurysm and Dissection (TEVAR)
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection (EVAR)
- Transcatheter Valve Therapies
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Mitral Clip
- Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve Replacement
- Various valvular and complex structural intervention
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease Interventional Procedures
- ASD closure
- PDA closure
- PFO closure in cryptogenic stroke
- Percutaneous Mitral, Aortic and Pulmonary Valvuloplasty
- Device Occlusion of Patent Ductus Arteriosus & Atrial Septal Defects
- Percutaneous Transluminal Septal Myocardial Ablation (PTSMA)
- Renal Denervation for Resistant Hypertension
- Peripheral Angioplasty and Stenting
- Carotid Stenting
- Renal Stenting
- Subclavian Stenting
- Iliac, Femoral and Superficial Femoral Artery (SFA) Stenting, and below knee angioplasty
- Arteriovenous Fistula Angioplasty and Stenting
With a team of highly experienced and skilled professionals, including the best cardiologists in Penang, we can provide exceptional, world-class care and expertise in all aspects of heart and chest surgery in both adults and children.
Our cardiothoracic surgical services are as below:
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery
- Valve Surgery
- Surgery on the aorta
- Surgery for congenital heart disease
- Surgery on the lung
- Surgery on the mediastinum
Besides the above, we are one of the best hospitals in Penang, and one of very few centres in Malaysia, that can provide highly complex treatments such as endovascular reconstruction.
Paediatric Cardiology Services
Gleneagles Hospital Penang is a regional referral centre for cardiology services for children. We offer surgical treatment for children with congenital heart diseases and complications such as:
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD)
- Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD)
- Tetralogy of Fallot (TOF)
- Transposition of the Great Arteries (TGA)
Our hospital also possesses one of the largest paediatric cardiac surgery practices in the Northern region of Malaysia.
Successful and effective treatment is first preceded by accurate diagnosis. It is imperative for the cardiologists at Gleneagles Hospital Penang to properly diagnose a condition to determine an efficacious treatment plan for our patients.
Gleneagles Hospital Penang is one of the leaders in the field of cardiology, with modern facilities including:
- A dedicated cardiac diagnostic unit
- Multiple cardiac catheterisation laboratories (Cath Labs)
- Dedicated cardiac operating theatre
- 3T MRI
- 640-Slice CT scanner
- High-Dependency Unit (HDU) / Intensive Care Unit (ICU) / Coronary Care Unit (CCU)
Established in the walls of Gleneagles Hospital Penang is a dedicated cardiac diagnostic unit, where all matters relating to the diagnosis of cardiovascular conditions are performed. This one-stop facility was designed to facilitate our patients through their healthcare journey.
With multiple cardiac catheterisation laboratories (cath labs) available, treatments become faster and more effective. Our hospital features a bi-plane cardiac catheterisation laboratory that provides fast, accurate 3D imaging, which enables our specialists to provide the best possible treatment for our patients.
The 3 Tesla (3T) MRI is an advanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanner that enables a more accurate diagnosis due to its quicker, more detailed scans, as well as clearer images. With our latest 3T MRI scanner, we can overcome the challenges that come with abdominal MRI scan using FREEZEit technology, a feature which enables free-breathing examinations to those with limited breath-hold capability.
Our Imaging Department is home to an advanced 640-slice Toshiba Aquilion One CT Scanner, one of the most revolutionary and the world’s first dynamic volume CT scanner. Apart from routine examination, the scanner also performs CT angiography (CTA) to help cardiologists evaluate the arteries and assess their function.
These revolutionary facilities assist our cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons in their diagnosis, and treatment of various conditions.