If you’re travelling to certain parts in Africa or South/Central America, you are at risk of yellow fever.
What is Yellow Fever?
Yellow fever is a viral infection that can be spread from mosquito to human, usually affecting kidney and liver. It is found only in parts of Central and South America and Sub-Saharan Africa. Several common symptoms of yellow fever may include high temperature, headache, aches, loss of appetite, feeling sick and feeling generally unwell. However, it can also be fatal.
Vaccination is a way to protect yourself from yellow fever.
Who should get the yellow fever vaccine?
- People travelling to or going through countries with risk of yellow fever transmission, certain parts in Africa or South/Central America*.
- Travelers transiting for 12 hours or more at the airport of the listed countries.
Several countries require you to provide proof of yellow fever vaccination therefore you should be vaccinated at least 10 days before travelling to avoid being quarantined.
There are some people who are usually not recommended to get the vaccine:
- Infants less than 9 months old
- People who are severely allergic to egg protein
- Pregnant mothers (unless going to a country with high risk of infection during yellow fever outbreak)
- People with a weakened immune system or with thymus disorder.
About the yellow fever vaccine.
Stamaril is the yellow fever vaccine available at Gleneagles Hospital Penang. The vaccine can be given for most people from 9 months of age. It will take around 10 days for most people to develop immunity from the vaccine.
A single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides lifelong protection in most people.
Information on Yellow Fever International Certificate
The validity period of the Yellow Fever vaccination international certificate is lifelong and accepted internationally.
The yellow fever vaccine certificate will be valid beginning 10 days after vaccination.
How to book for Yellow Fever Vaccine appointment.
Patients are required to contact the Gleneagles Hospital Penang's General Line at +6042229111 or WhatsApp +6042229111 for appointment. Once you come in for the appointment, we will do screening questions to ensure that you’re suitable to get the vaccine.