This involves the surgical treatment of diseases affecting organs within the thorax (chest) where surgeons generally treat diseases and other conditions related to the heart and lungs. These include but are not limited to operations such as heart by-pass and open-heart surgeries.
Gleneagles Hospitals boasts state-of-the-art equipment combined with a multidisciplinary team of surgeons, cardiologists, nurses and aftercare specialists to deliver to professional and experienced medical care.
With heart disease cases on the rise due to sedentary lifestyles, poor diets, heavy smoking as well as diabetes and hot tropical climates, most patients develop coronary artery issues in their mid forties.
Cardiothoracic surgery is the newest development in medical surgery which combines the diligence and meticulous approach to both diagnosis and treatment – each patient receives the highest level of professional attention from their personalised team of medical professionals.
Other types of services
- Coronary artery bypass grafting including total arterial revascularisation, beating heart surgery and endoscopic vessel harvesting
- Heart valve repairs and replacement
- Repair of congenital heart defects in children and adults
- Complex aortic aneurysms requiring replacement of the ascending aorta and aortic valve and re-implantation of the coronary arteries
- Surgery for cardiac tumours
- Surgery for disease of the pericardium – pericardiectomy, drainage, pericardial window, excision of pericardial cysts and tumours
- Lung surgery – video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS), bronchoscopy, lobectomy, pneumonectomy, tumours, lung abscess, and lung biopsy
- Surgery for pleural disease - decortication, biopsy
- Surgery for mediastinal disease - mediastinoscopy, excision of mediastinal tumours, thymectomy, retrosternal goitre
- Minimally-invasive sympathectomy
- Chest wall reconstruction surgery